Massage therapy is the art of reducing stress and improving circulation by the use of specific hands-on methods and strategies. In the last 5-10 years, massage therapy has become a highly visible and much sought after career by an incredible number of people.
What should I look for in an online massage therapy school?The best online massage therapy schools should either possess regional or national accreditation from an accrediting body that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, you can often recognize top online massage therapy schools based on:
- The school’s name and status
- The school’s history
- Teacher credentials
- Alumni network
- Admission requirements
- Residency requirements
- Class and teaching style
- Testing methods used
- Course content and presentation
- Program length
- Class size
- Student-teacher interaction
- Technology use
- Tuition and financial aid
- Transferability of credits
- Availability of a dedicated administration team and resources
What levels of online massage therapy programs are available?The following levels of massage therapy degree online programs are available:
- Online Associates in Massage Therapy
- Online Bachelor in Massage Therapy
- Online Masters in Massage Therapy
- Online PhD in Massage Therapy
How long does it take to get an online massage therapy degree?The amount of time it takes a student to earn an accredited online massage therapy degree depends on the level of massage therapy degree being pursued and the pace of the student. Typically, the breakdown is as follows:
- Certification Programs – 6 months to 1 year
- Associates Degree – 2 years
- Bachelor Degree – 4 years
- Masters – 2 years
- PhD – 2 to 5 years
What are some examples of online massage therapy courses?Although massage therapy is a ‘hands-on’ and ‘in-person’ kind of activity, there are many online courses that do a great job of preparing students for future careers. Some courses students should expect include:
- Physiology Because massage can have an effect on patients’ internal organs, it is necessary to learn as much as possible about the body and its systems.
- Massage History and Theory An introduction to the history of massage in the east and west, with a section devoted to the theory of massage and what it was created to do.
- Massage Techniques and Practice What you need to know in order to be able to perform a job as a career massage therapist.
- Assessment Part of successfully treating a patient is being able to accurately assess a condition/ailment, this course gives you that knowledge.
- Ethics Because individuals seeking medical treatment are often times put in compromising and susceptible situations it is important for all medical health professionals to be taught proper ethical values.
What areas of massage therapy specialization are available?The potential for specialization within the field of massage therapy is great. The more specialized you are within this field, the more unique career opportunities you will be ready for.
- Expectant Mother
- Sports Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
What can I do with a massage therapy degree?There are a great number of massage therapy jobs out there for applicants to choose from:
- Massage Therapist (private practice)
- Massage Therapist (employee)
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Massage Instructor
- Sports-Related Massage